It is Mercury retrograde time again. From 18 June – 12 July, the planet that rules the mind, communication, and mental clarity, goes retrograde and disturbs the energy of our nervous system and affects our adrenal glands, making us stressed and exhausted.
Using adaptogenic and nervine herbs to calm the mind and cope with stress better, is a good way to relax into mercury retrograde periods, things may still not always go your way, but it could help you get through this trying time.
Try our Mercury Retrograde Iced Tea recipe containing seasonal herbs that have a calming effect on the mind and body.
Mercury Retrograde Iced Tea
- 1 litre filtered water
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon balm leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon verbena leaves
- 4 sprigs of fresh lavender leaves
- 1-2 Tablespoons of honey (or sweetener of choice)
- Lemon slices and lavender flowers for garnish
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the lemon balm, lemon verbena and lavender leaves to the water. Remove the pot from the heat, cover, and steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain out the leaves and pour the tea into a glass container of your choice.
- Stir in the honey and allow to cool.
- Serve over ice and garnish.
Other herbs that are great nervous system tonics:
If you don’t have access to the fresh ingredients you can also try some of the below herbs in their supplement form to support you during this month.
Valerian Flower – Although the root is more commonly used, valerian flowers have a gentle calming, less sedative action.
Ashwagandha – an adaptogenic herb that regulates a person’s stress response.
Chamomile – Soothing on the nervous system when used in a massage oil or taken as a tea
Passionflower – Traditionally used to treat insomnia and anxiety.